Monday, May 30, 2011

Great moments come from great opportunities.

I almost went to the movies tonight. I have a free pass that expires tomorrow and I was going to go by myself. I was going to either see Kung Fu Panda 2 or The Hangover Part II. But...

...my wife was awake (Matty went down early), and neither of us have to go to work in the morning. That said, I decided to use an about-to-be-expired PPV certificate to rent The Dilemma. We have Black Swan on the DVR, but she thought it looked "frightening." (see second post for the rules, which were in full force tonight)

Shockingly, this movie was directed by Ron Howard, whom I consider pretty solid (Backdraft, Far and Away, Ransom). Can you be letdown when you're not really expecting much? Yes. Yes, you can.

The premise is irrelevant. Vince Vaughn does his thing and I hate to say it...but I might be all set. That sounds borderline blasphemous. I will forever worship Trent in Swingers. That movie, and specifically his character, seared into my then 16-year-old mind the idea that loving and torturing your friends was the same thing. I honestly felt that those guys were a cooler reflection of me and my friends (and those guys weren't even that cool). The scene where they play NHL '95 (or whatever year it was) is pure magic. Seriously.

Which makes movies like The Dilemma all the more disappointing. It's like seeing your favorite band 20 years later and they just aren't as cool as you remember. There might be a flash of the old magic, but that's it. That's this movie in a nutshell. This movie was soooo uneven. I think it was supposed to be funny, but it ends up being more of a bad drama than anything. Even the ladies weren't their usual hot selves (Jennifer Connelly and Winona Ryder)! Oh well. The price was right. Probably should've went to the dirt mall though and checked out The Hangover, 'cause she fell asleep about 45 minutes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment