Thursday, July 14, 2011

This is where I was born. I'm not returning as someone else.

So, the final Harry Potter comes out tomorrow (well, in less than two hours).  To avoid being totally lost, I purchased Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 yesterday and finished watching it today. I was very happy with the movie and am certainly looking forward to the completion of not only the film, but the long cinematic journey that we've been on for what is basically a decade! Imagine.Ten solid years of Ron Weasley and his gigantic twin brothers.


Now, I am not a diehard Harry Potter fan. If I remember correctly, I really didn't care for the first two films (especially considering I thought that Lord of the Rings was the end-all fantasy movie and little kids and muggles and such tomfoolery was beneath my superior wits and tastes). In fact, I've never even seen the third and fourth films despite owning each for a few years now. Oh. Well.

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?
Back it up a few years from now and I figured that as an English teacher [middle school], I had to read the books. So, I did. All in a row, basically over a summer. I really enjoyed them ( though Order was kinda lame). That experience essentially made me care about the movies, even if just a little.

All this leads me to some quick words about HP7 pt.1. It is really good. The actors have grown up so much and remain very committed to delivering fantastic performances. The story is a bit heavy, but never drags. I will admit I even crapped a little during the snake scene! Damn jump scares! Also, I have to mention in the most non-creeper way possible that I find Emma Watson incredible as Hermione. Hell, I even really dig Rupert Grint's Ron Weasley, too. The cast is uniformly excellent, but these two have delivered for-what-seems-like-ever. I'll be back in a few hours to tell you how this all wraps up. (fingers crossed). Oh, my sister's dressing up. Yes. For a movie.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you finally saw it! We're going to see part 2 Friday night at 7:30pm. Will be interested to check back here and see what you think! Drew and I dressed up as Harry/Hermoine for a Halloween party in college, but I'm not allowed to do it for the movies....unless I want to go by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You would really do well to watch movies 3 and 4. They're a far cry from movies 1 and 2. Plus, you can't go wrong with Gary Oldman's Sirius Black and a great Professor Lupin in #3.

    ReplyDelete