Sunday, August 21, 2011

Suitable for framing.

Double feature! Okay, not really, but last night my wife and I finished two movies off the DVR. Don't scroll down and read about the other one. Seriously, avert your eyes. The second flick, was 2009's A Perfect Getaway. Why bother with this one when we've got True Grit and Black Swan just sitting there in the DVR? Blame my upbringing.

I used to wait tables in Hawai'i. Killing tourists seemed reasonable.
I was raised on the Big Island of Hawai'i. Living there? Never impressed me. In fact, it bored me. I couldn't wait to leave. Now that I've been gone close to a decade, I desperately want to go back. Instead of selling my body to finance trips (might take awhile), I reminisce by catching flicks that take place in the islands. Basically, that means watching a few minutes of 50 First Dates whenever it's on TNT, but whatever - you get me. I had heard some good things when this was released, but my wife was super pregnant at the time. Lame.

That's a young Thor in the middle.
It's been awhile since I have seen a movie where I had to figure out who the killer was. Uh...Scream 4 was probably the last one I can think of (I forget already). Anyway, that's your job here and it's a decent ride, I suppose. The problem is that there are only three possible answers. One seems too obvious from the get go, so it becomes a coin toss. I won't ruin the surprise for you, but I don't think it's a real brain-buster.

In the movie, she's naked. No lie.
That said, this movie may have a little bit of The Sixth Sense going for it. When you get to the end, you might want to immediately watch it over again to see if everything holds up. You also might want to kill yourself from all the eye-rolling you've been doing. I was in the middle. I was curious, but also a bit disappointed (it spirals into madness in the last 15 minutes).

What I wasn't bummed about, was the sweet Cool Hand Luke references. Having just watched that one, I felt pretty cool catching them (probably how smart people feel when they solve a problem). Oddly enough my father-in-law threw out a Luke line at dinner the other night as well. Nuts. I guess it's like I always say: Paul Newman makes everything better. Okay, I've never said that. You got me, okay? Jeez. You're a real jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment