Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Same play! Same hole!

Based on a true story. When it comes to my movie-going experiences, these five words have always bothered me. Today's film, The Express, tells the story of Ernie Davis, a running back for Syracuse University in the early 60's, and ultimately continues that doubt-filled trend. To be fair, even if half of what was shown in this film is true, this guy had an amazing life. Frickin' unbelievable, really.
No son of mine is gonna play any foos-ball.

Now, I've mentioned that I love sports. I definitely do. But between you and me, I hate college football. Maybe not completely (last weekend's Michigan/Notre Dame game was nuts), but enough that I basically don't know anything about it. Maybe I know where my favorite players went, but really-really, I don't care. Maybe growing up in Hawai'i has something to do with it, maybe going to a college that had no football team factors in as well - regardless. Football is played on Sunday. By professionals. And yes...Monday, too - you know-it-all bastard.

The point is that I knew nothing of this story. Nothing. And to say that there is some crazy stuff in here is a major understatement. Ernie Davis' story is incredible. His stats and ability (first African-American to win the Heisman) are amazing enough, but damn the ending floored me. Yes this movie is three years old (Hell, the story is over 50 years old), but I really don't want to spoil it (assuming you are  clueless, too).  I don't even know what to say.

And speaking of being speechless (huh?), was the 1960 Cotton Bowl really as nuts as it was portrayed? I'm pretty sure you could have stabbed someone in the eye in that game and it wouldn't have drawn a flag. The whole game played out like the opening scene of The Last Boy Scout. Minus Billy Blanks going on a shooting rampage. Oh, and it wasn't during an monsoon. Ridiculous!

Only steers and queers come from Texas. And, um, me
So, yes, I really liked this one. It's a sports movie. Which also means...cliche festival. But, it's interesting enough to rise above it. But if you're feeling saucy, look out for:
  • Lots of montages! Set to some oldies, no less.
  • Racist/jerkface opposing coach! Oh, that guy.
  • Funny fat dude? Indeed.
  • Dickhead linebacker...who comes around by the end? Check.
  • Rain Game! 
  • All the players sing a song together. Because, that's what teams do, bro.
Regardless of the tomfoolery I'm spewing, check this one out. It's very entertaining and E.D. is just a solid individual. If you've ever heard any of the stories of how Jackie Robinson carried himself in the face of overwhelming adversity, Davis seems to be quite similar. Truly inspiring. If legitimate heroes don't do it for you, well, you've got Cheddar Bob doing his thing. Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment